Monday morning means the weekend comes to a grinding halt and begins a new adventure for the work week. One Monday, ours started with an unpleasant jolt.
NONE OF US ARE FLAWLESS
Let's be honest. We all try our best to be perfect and deliver our services to our clients flawlessly. The truth, however is we are human, life happens and we are all flawed in some fashion. We fail, we mess up and sometimes we fall short on delivering our best. Or we deliver our best, live out our values and it is not really what the other person was wanting. It's OK. It's life. We ask how we can fix things, we pick up the pieces, find the lessons and move on. We had such an experience recently. The very thing that bothered this client was the very thing we hold in high regard. Inside our experience was a precious nugget of information, which ultimately led to affirming one of our moments of truth about our company...
Blu Dove is committed to treating people with genuine kindness, compassion and love, which is paramount to creating long lasting relationships.
MOMENTS OF TRUTH
The credit of that phrase goes to John Spence, author of Awesomely Simple, a business strategist, speaker and one of my most wonderful mentors defines it as:
"...those handful of critical customer interactions that must be delivered flawlessly each and every time in order to create highly engaged, satisfied and loyal customers and then creating the necessary processes, procedures and systems to allow your employees to consistently exceed your customers expectations on your unique Moments Of Truth; the three, four or five Moments Of Truth that make or break your relationship with the customer.”
As the weeks and months have gone on, they have been filled with critical client interactions and experiences affirming for us the above Moment of Truth. It's not a new way of thinking for us, it has simply been a reminder where to keep our focus. Since then, I am now more aware of them when they happen, taking time to enjoy those moments and even where we fall short so we can make corrections. Here is just a few of those that happened that week alone and some others that have happened since then.
- a last minute website edit for a client before the parade of homes and making them feel at ease
- being on the other end of the phone listening without judgement as a client fell apart in tears due to overwhelm in her own life
- attending a ribbon cutting as a family for a client
- a quick phone call to help with a technical problem on our day off
- a visit with a client who first asked how was my daughter before explaining his project
- giving our teammate the opportunity to leave work early for a special weekend with her family
- spending a day on the water to connect with each other and with nature
- a visit with a client learning that they are making their office family friendly
- understanding the client dashing out of a meeting to get to an emergency dr appt for his baby girl
- open arms to the new mom who needed to bring her son in with her to review the website we were working on
- celebrating a client's long time dream coming true
- putting health above all else and the rest of us will fill in the gaps
- crying, praying, laughing, playing together
- a visit with a client catching up on how their business and family is doing
- a hug from a new client excited to work with us
KINDNESS AND COMPASSION MEAN SOMETHING...EVEN IN BUSINESS
We genuinely celebrate with each other, help each other with a goal, and provide extra support at a critical moment in their business. Through thick and thin, ups and downs, failures and success, and acceptance. This is who Blu Dove Designs is and what we care about. Family.
Yes, we care very much about our clients' success, and we do so holistically. All the success in the world without family and friends is rather lonely, don’t you think? Success without a deeper understanding and compassion for life and looking for ways to serve our customer as a whole would leave something lacking. A person's business is their livelihood, which ultimately supports their family so family should never be left out and cannot be mutually excluded.
Constantly making sure our clients know we value their family as we would expect them to value ours is a key value at Blu Dove Designs. Our goal is by honoring that value for us, other individuals who hold that same value will recognize that shared value.
OUR CLIENTS ARE FAMILY
We are grateful for family. Just as families don't always get along, or agree on 100% of everything, we probably won't either. However because we put that relationship in such high regard, we will always find ways to work things out. We have relationships that have lasted the entire 11 years we have been in business! That's how we view our clients. That is how we want you to view us. As an extension of your business and someone who cares deeply about your success, your livelihood and your family. After all, these are not independent of one another.
As you go through your daily activities of your business I invite you to think about the following questions.
1) What critical client interactions are leading you to your moments of truth?
2) How do your interactions make your client returns to do business with you and stay loyal?
3) What are you doing to ensure you deliver flawlessly each and every time you interact with your customers?
*One of my mentors and my inspiration behind this post is John Spence who is a well-known, business strategist, international speaker, trainer and author. Please visit his website or blog for awesome resources for your business!*
Want to learn more about the moment of truth concept?